The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) issue an amendment notice on revising the scheme document on the voluntary water efficiency Labelling scheme on washing machines.
The revision of the Scheme is effective from May 1, 2021, until April 30, 2026.
Major changes from the previous requirements:
1. Implementation of WELS in Hong Kong adopts a mixed approach wherein Mandatory use of some designated water-efficient washing machines and voluntary labeling in the retail market.
2. Annual testing on the registered washing machines is now conducted by the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD).
3. The WELS label and grading remain unchanged.
4. Washing machines under category 1 (Horizontal drum type washing machines) shall comply with IEC 60456 5th edition. Category 2 (impeller type or agitator type) washing machines remain to comply with JIS C 9606.
Note: According to WSD, the sections related to testing procedures are the same in both IEC 60456 4th and 5th Edition. A re-test is not required. The results of the test procedure conducted under IEC 60456 4th Edition apply to the current WELS Scheme Document which adopts the 5th edition of IEC 60456.
1. Apart from ISO/IEC 17025 testing laboratories accredited by HKAS, the WSD accepts results and certificates also from In-house laboratory with the following criteria:
- Laboratory assessed and recognized under the Voluntary EELS
- Self-declaration by the manufacturer, importer or other related parties - in-house laboratory with ISO/IEC 17025
- The manufacturer is operating according to a recognized international quality system
- The manufacturer’s or importer’s or related parties’ in-house laboratory has been successfully carrying out tests on product energy efficiency performance with well-established assessment procedures.
2. Applicants obligation is set out in the Proforma letter of application which is also available on the Water Supplies Department’s website: https://www.wsd.gov.hk/filemanager/common/pdf/ApplicationForm/en/proforma_letter_of_application_washing_machine.pdf